Outdoor Cat Tunnels are a type of outdoor cat enclosure, in the form of a tunnel, which enable your cat to explore and get around your garden in safety.
They come in a couple of different formats:
- Walkway between cat enclosures: this style of outdoor tunnel is used for joining up an outdoor cat enclosure with the inside of your house (or potentially another outdoor enclosure), providing a safe passage between the two protected spaces.
- Tunnel shaped play enclosure: although similar, the purpose of these tunnels is not to get from A to B, but rather that the tunnel itself is the enclosure in which your cat plays and explores your garden.
In this article we’ll take a look at some examples of these different types of outdoor cat tunnels and help you decide which option might be best for you.
1) Cat Tunnel Walkways
This style of cat tunnel tends to be a custom design made to measure for the exact space and situation of joining two enclosed spaces together.
For example, you may have a freestanding catio outside in your garden and decide that you’d like to join it up with a door or window entrance from your house.
This enables your cat to come and go to their outdoor cat enclosure whenever they like.
Check out this setup for example:
Depending on where the existing enclosure is, your tunnel might be just a couple of meters or it may be much longer if for example your enclosure is the other end of your garden.
Some people will also use cat tunnels to join up multiple different enclosed spaces around different parts of their garden, creating a network of play spaces.
Our favorite Catio maker, Habitat Haven, makes a range of different outdoor tunnel pieces that you can use to join 2 or more spaces together – you can see more of their designs here:
2) Tunnel Shaped Play Enclosures
This style of outdoor cat tunnel is more suited as a play space in itself, similar to the way indoor cat tunnels are often used.
They are often made with durable, industrial strength fishnet, steel wickets and rip stop netting and they are ideal for the garden, backyard patio, decking, porch or apartment balcony.
Open end play tunnels
Some designs have open ends, allowing your cat to roam the garden and go into the tunnel for play, like this one:
- Provides spacious secure environment for your kitty or small dog to run and play
- Steel spring frame, see through mesh, ground stakes and carry case
- Folds Flat for easy storage
- Ideal for home and travel
- Measures 60"L x 18"Diameter
Enclosed play tunnels
There are also other styles which incorporate an enclosed space at the end of a section of tunnel, or simply are a tunnel with doors on either end.
This style of cat tunnel is basically a cheap and simple form of cat enclosure, providing a space in your garden for your cat can go in and play in safety – similar to a standard cat run or pen.
Check out these 2 examples:
- Easy Installation. Unique instant construction to set up the tent within seconds.
- Cat tent size is 72" L X48"W X36"H, roomy space for more than 2 cat play together.
- Durable Mesh construction
- Easy to carry and set up outside
- Small and compact storage bag
Tunnel enclosure kits
Similarly you can also get pre-made outdoor cat tunnels that allow you to create your own design by linking different sections together.
Kittywalk make a series of sections that can be joined together like this to create a network of play space for your cat.
- Multi-unit, netted outdoor enclosure for multiple cats. Dimensions: 96" (L) x 72 inch (H) x 18" (W)
- Includes Kittywalk’s Deck and Patio enclosure, the Kabana, and Penthouse
- Integrates easily with other Kittywalk outdoor pet enclosures (available separately)
- Nearly 30 cubic feet of play space for multiple cats
- 4 different hammocks for lounging; weather resistant canvas roofing
Why Get A Cat Tunnel?
Outdoor Cat Tunnels are perfect for cats to play, do some bird watching, or just generally chill out in!
They provide your cat with an enriched environment, full of fresh air, space and smells that they wouldn’t otherwise get in the house.
Having a varied environment is really important for cats to stay mentally and physically healthy, so any additional space you can offer your little friend will be of great benefit.
Of course, it’s also really fun to sit out in your garden and watch your cat jump about trying to chase butterflies too! 🙂
Outdoor Cat Tunnels For Sale
If you’re looking for a outdoor cat tunnel walkway to link up an enclosure, then you have 2 options to choose from when it comes to buying one:
- Do It Yourself: buy the wood, wire mesh and fixings from your local hardware store and make it yourself (ie. a DIY cat tunnel)
- Order a custom designed cat tunnel from a specialist cat enclosure company. You can choose from pre-made standard designs which fit together in sections, or you can opt to have a custom design to fit your exact situation.
One of the leading companies that designs pre-made cat tunnel enclosures and also offers custom designs is Habitat Haven.
If you’re looking for more of a play tunnel, then check out the examples above or follow this link to see the full range of outdoor cat tunnels available on Amazon.