Responding to their instinctive desire for adventure, exploration, and hunting; indoor cats often try to sneak out of the house or stray away from their owners when outdoors.
Although we know they just want to roam around freely and have some fun, we can’t let our little friends do that!
Because we want to protect our cats from the dangers lurking in the outside world.
Despite the fact that we do this to ensure our cats safety, we often feel guilty for not letting them do what makes them truly happy. But, not anymore!
On the other hand, your cat can experience nature and get a taste of the outside world in a secure and enriched environment.
It’s a win-win situation for both you and your cat. But, there are so many different types of catios available that cat parents often find it difficult to decide which one they should buy.
Are you been facing the same struggle? Don’t know what features you should look for in a cat enclosure and what things you should prioritize; price, size, style, comfort, or safety?
Well, you can relax – because we have done the work for you!
After considering and reviewing dozens of catios, we have shortlisted the best ones for you.
We considered a variety of features while reviewing catios, and we gave utmost priority to customer reviews and have only selected the ones that according to fellow cat owners, their pets loved.
Knowing that the requirements of cat owners and cats may vary, here we are listing some of the best types of outdoor cat runs, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
6 Best Outdoor Cat Runs & Pens
1. EliteField 2-Door Soft Pet Playpen
The eight-paneled playpen features two zippered doors to make it easier for your feline buddy to move in and out. However, for smart cats that have learned to unzip with their nails, the doors also have locks for additional security.
The remaining six panels and the roof are basically meshed windows, so your kitty can easily enjoy the outside view. For a cat owner’s ease of access, the roof mesh is also removable. To make cleaning easier, the floor mat is also removable and washable.
The product’s considerably big size – 32-inch height and 4-feet diameter –allows you to place water and food bowls, a litter box, and even a couple of toys or a cat bed inside it. It is lightweight and foldable, which makes it ideal for traveling.
- Comes with four ground stakes and a carrying bag
- Has a pocket for a water bottle and two pockets for keeping your cat’s accessories
- Zippers have additional locks for enhanced security
- Very easy to fold and set up
- Removable and washable floor and roof
2. Prevue Pet Products Premium/Deluxe Cat Home
As the name suggests, this cat home by Prevue Pet Products is a large outdoor cat enclosure that is over 5 feet tall.
This lightweight yet sturdy catio is made of rust-resistant metal and features a paw-friendly design, which means there are no gaps or pinch points for the kitty to get her paws stuck.
It also features four levels, two extra-large hammocks, and two huge removable platforms, which means there is plenty of space for your cat(s) to play and rest.
The three large doors provide easy access to pet parents, so you can also spend some time with your feline companions.
- Lightweight, sturdy, and rust-resistant
- Paw-friendly design
- Two large platforms and hammocks, four levels, and big size make it ideal for multi-cat households as well
- Rubber rolling casters allow for easy movement of the catio
3. Zampa Foldable Pet Playpen
Spacious, portable, and durable – these are the top three features of this Zampa Playpen.
It is particularly ideal for active cats because it provides sufficient vertical and horizontal space; the playpen has a 2-feet height and is a little less than 4-feet in width.
According to reviews, the base is wide enough to fit a cat bed, litter box, water and food bowls, and a few toys.
All the eight panels have mesh windows, so your kitty will get a 360-degree view of the outside world.
Two of the windows can be rolled up and used as doors. Pouches and pockets on the sides make it easy to carry water, treats, and/or toys for your pet, while traveling.
The removable meshed roof window provides easy access to cat owners.
- Comes with a carrying bag
- Durable – made from a water-resistant material and features strong seams and reinforced corners
- 100% money-back guarantee for up to a year
4. PawHut Wooden Outdoor Catio Cage
Providing ample space and multiple vantage points, this large wooden outdoor cat enclosure will soon become your cat’s favorite place in the house.
The 3-foot wide and about 6-foot long catio is made of fir and a thick wire and features six platforms of different heights, an access ramp, and a paned window.
This means your cat will have sufficient space to satisfy its desire for climbing, jumping, and resting on high places. There is also enough room for cat accessories, such as a cat tree, toys, cat grass, and bed.
To prevent harsh weather from ruining your kitty’s mood, the roof of the enclosure is covered with asphalt and to ensure durability, the wooden structure is waterproofed with a coating of non-toxic and cat-safe sealant.
The catio also features a full-sized door that allows pet owners to go inside for cleaning or simply spending a little time with their feline friends.
With all these amazing features, the wooden cat enclosure by PawHut is truly a haven for pet cats.
- Large size and multiple-level platforms provide enough room for more one than cats
- Made from waterproof fir wood and asphalt (roof), which ensure sturdiness and durability
- Thick wire mesh eliminates the risk of escape
5. Outback Jack Outdoor Kitty Compound Play House
A combination of tent and tunnel, this 30-square feet mesh-only cat compound provides a 360-degree view and ample room for running around.
If your cat prefers horizontal spaces over the vertical ones and loves watching birds and wildlife outside, this Outback Jack compound is your best bet!
The tent and the tunnel can be either joined together for offering a large space or can be used separately. For extra convenience, you can attach the open end of the tunnel to a window or cat opening in the door.
The cat playhouse only takes a few minutes to set up and comes with a carrying bag.
- Large size provides ample space for activities as well as for placing cat accessories
- Lightweight and portable; comes with a carrying bag that offers extra convenience
- Cat tent and tunnel can be used together or separately
- Perfect for both indoor and outdoor use
- Easy to set up and fold
6. Yaheetech 4 Tier Cat Cage Large Rolling Kitten Cage
As evident from the name, this large outdoor cat enclosure by Yaheteech features 4 levels, with two adjustable metal platforms, a hammock, and a cushioned resting platform (cat bed) for napping and sleeping.
The levels are connected with ladders, thereby providing you with easy access and increased vertical space.
At the bottom, the catio has a leak-proof, removable plastic tray that easily slides-out, making cleaning super easy.
One of the most interesting features of this cat enclosure is that although it is made of metal, it is designed in such a way that it can be completely folded down. This makes it easy to store and carry around while traveling.
The enclosure is perfect for up to three cats.
- Foldable, durable, and sturdy
- Features a hammock, two adjustable platforms, and a cat bed
- The floor has a removable plastic tray that makes it easier to clean
- Comes with brake casters
- Features 2 latch-secured doors
- The base can bear up to 66 lb. (30kg) weight, which means you can add multiple cat accessories
Outdoor cat runs, pens, and enclosures are increasingly becoming a necessary item for every household with a cat.
They resolve the issue that we face when wanting our cats to venture outdoors in safety.
In this article, we have reviewed some of the best options available out there to help you find an option that suits your needs, available space, and budget.
Buy the one that fits your requirements and let us know how you find it!