What is a Catio Kit?
A Catio Kit is a pre-designed outdoor cat enclosure kit that comes with all the parts to assemble in-situ at home.
You can either put it together yourself if you’re the DIY type (most are not that difficult to construct) or you can hire a local handy person to assemble your catio kit for you.
Catio Kits enable you to build a safe and stimulating environment for your cat at home, relieving the worry that comes with having your cat run around outside.
They also provide a lot of mental and physical stimulation for your cat as they jump between shelves or play with toys or treats that you can hide inside their space.
Best Catio Kits
Catios come in a wide range of sizes and styles, some simple and some furnished with all sorts of cat inspired fun.
The saying “you get what you pay for” definitely applies to catio kits.
Whilst you can buy some cheaper catio kits (in the range of $200 – $500), the best catio kits will set you back anywhere from $500 – $5000, with most costing around $1000 – $2500.
We’ve researched the whole range of catios out there and in our opinion the best catio kits on the market are made by Habitat Haven.
They make a wide range of different pre-designed cat enclosures, and also offer a ‘build your own’ catio kit where you can pick and choose different components like tunnels, bridges, stairs and towers to create your own designs.
Check out our favorite pre-designed catio kit models that they offer:
Best For Smaller Spaces
This pre-designed "Room with a View" enclosure enables you to create a fun outdoor space for your cat(s) against an exterior window or door. Your cat(s) can come and go as they please, climbing and perching on the shelves out in the fresh air of your porch, patio or back yard.
Best For Smaller Spaces With Multiple Cats
The Lion's Den is one of the most popular pre-configured catio enclosures. It uses a minimal amount of space against your home, garage, or outbuilding. It is also wide enough to go over most residential doors and windows which makes for easy access from inside to outside using a pet door.
Best For Cats That Like To Climb
The Cat Walk is a great way to give your cat(s) plenty of space to climb, explore and enjoy outdoor space. It is a combination of 3 different components to make one unique enclosure space. A catio tower leads from the house, up over a tunnel and into the larger enclosure which features a number of shelves to perch on.
Best For Cats That Like Adventure
With lots of room to take in all the amazing aspects of the outdoors, the Home Away from Home model is a simple yet feature-rich Catio enclosure your cat(s) will love! Granting them multiple areas to climb, lounge, and play while safely outdoors! With two full enclosures and two tunnels that you can use in any number of ways to create something amazing for your kitties!
The Ultimate Catio Kit!
The Great Escape is Habitat Haven's most spacious and interesting pre-configured catio design. It maximizes vantage points, activities, and space for your cat(s) to explore.
There is something for every cat in the Great Escape. If your cat likes to run there are 36 feet of tunnels in this setup. If your cat likes to climb they will be able to use the 9 different sets of shelves and the 8 step staircase to just that!
So, what makes Habitat Haven’s catio kits so good?
- Made from the best materials: powder-coated galvanized steel mesh & cedar wood
- Quality craftsmanship: each component is designed an fabricated by hand in their workshop in Michigan
- Industry experts: their materials & designs have been thoroughly tested in thousands of applications since 2003
- Cat-Safe Design: each component goes through an 8-point inspection to ensure that it meets the highest standards of safety
- Durability: the combination of the materials used and the build quality means your catio will last for many years to come
Their designs are strong, durable and attractive, and they are recommended by veterinarians throughout North America as the best way to keep pets safe.
They also have many happy customers who return years later to leave glowing 5 star reviews (you can see some of them on this page of their site).
Put simply: you won’t find better catio kits out there!
(and they ship all over the world too for those of you outside the US!)
Best Budget Catio Kits From Amazon
Amazon carries a range of catio kits and smaller cat enclosures for those on a lower budget.
The benefits of these types of catios are:
- Lower Cost
- Quick delivery
The downsides to these types of catios are:
- lower quality build
- less durable materials & shorter lifespan
- less customizable
If you can afford it, we highly recommend going for a higher quality catio kit like the ones listed above from Habitat Haven. They are more secure, offer more options, are much more durable, and will be a better environment for your cat.
If you are really pushed for budget though, here’s a handful of our favorite catio kits from Amazon:
Best Large Catio on Amazon
This large enclosure has multiple shelves for playing on and can house multiple cats too. You can attach it to the side of your house or have it freestanding in your garden.
- Designed to House multiple cats
- Fully covered cat enclosure
- Wall-mount using pre-drilled holes, or use as a freestanding structure
- Removable back panels allow cats to access the cattery though a window or door
- 70.75 x 38.5 x 70.75 in.
Best Medium Sized Catio
Your cat can spend time outside in the safety of this stand alone enclosure which includes 3 shelves for perching and climbing on. It measures 71″ x 32″ x 43″
- [Exclusive Pet Run for Safety]: This outdoor cat enclosure with 3 platforms offers the perfect combination of style and security
- [Wood Construction for Durability]: This free-standing cat house consists of sturdy pinewood frame in a pet-friendly finish and rustproof wire walls, with asphalt roof.
- [Spacious Interior with 3 Elevated Platforms]: Three landing platforms placed in different heights are perfect for giving your feline friend perches to pounce from.
- [Lockable Door for Easy Access]: The full-sized single door opens and closes with the help of a wood lock
Best Small Sized Catio
With swinging hammocks, and a couple of shelves this catio provides multiple levels and a lot of fun for your cat. It measures 43 x 25 x 65 inches.
- Paw friendly design - No gaps or pinch points
- Heavy duty, rust-resistant construction
- Two extra large hammocks and two lock-in platforms included
- Exceptional engineering makes this cat cage easy to assemble
- 43 1/4" Long, 25 1/4" Wide, 65 3/4" High - over 5 feet tall!
Best Portable Catio Playpen
This is more of a play pen that you can easily move around in your garden or patio and collapse and put away easily too. It’s secure, breathable and measures 48 inches wide x 24 inches tall.
- Size: 48 x 48 x 32H, 4 to 8 higher than most other brand 48 soft pet playpens; a free carrying bag and 4 free ground stakes included
- Set-up and fold-down in seconds; suitable for a variety of pets indoors or outdoors
- Two doors with locking zippers for safety and security; two accessory pockets and a water bottle pocket and holder on the pet playpen
- Removable zip-off and washable floor mat and top cover; well-ventilated, stylish, lightweight portable and durable pet playpen
- 2 Year Warranty from EliteField, a New York-based Pet Product Manufacturer.
Catio Kit Types, Shapes & Sizes
Catios come in many different sizes and shapes.
A Catio Kit refers specifically to an outdoor cat enclosure that comes in an off the shelf, ready-to-construct kit format.
But, depending on what you’re looking for and the space you want to place your catio in, you’ll find catio kits can also be sold as:
- cat tunnels
- cat fences
- outdoor cat runs
- cat window boxes
- balcony catios
- porch catios
- portable catios
See any of these links above for more info on each type of catio design.
Any catio kit will come with detailed, step-by-step plans, all the materials you need, and often include all the necessary assembly tools.
Depending on the model you select, they can be very long, tall, short, or any other dimension you desire!
Different cats like different enclosures, so make sure you choose one that you know you cat will love to play in.
There are also a few catio kits that are simply an outdoor area for your cat to rest on or in.
They can be an open play area that allows your cat to go in and out freely as they please. A nice relaxing catio kit is also a great place for your cat to sleep if they’re an 100% outside cat!
Outdoor cat enclosure kits are always meant to be used as a fun/safe zone that your cat will learn to love and enjoy.
Once they’re accustomed to their environment, you can sit back and relax knowing that your beloved cat is safe and having a good time enjoying nature!
Catio Kits For Sale From Specialist Suppliers
After a lot of research we believe that Habitat Haven make the highest quality catios on the market.
However, there are a handful of other specialist suppliers of catio kits, cat enclosures and cat play equipment:
- C & D Pet Products: large cat enclosure kits available in various sizes and prices. Also offers kitten enclosures.
- Catio Spaces: offering a range of downloadable catio plans for you to make your own DIY catio with
- CatsOnDeck: Modular indoor/outdoor cat enclosures. Expandable and portable for RV use.
- Kritter Community: Kritter community cat condo style enclosures.
- Kitty Walk System, Inc: Various outdoor cat enclosure kits that all link up to each other. Most enclosures are pre-assembled.
- One 4 Pets: Sells one design for a simple indoor/outdoor cat enclosure
- Pet Enclosures Northwest. Custom made high end cat enclosures in the greater Seattle area
- Purrfect Fence: offering a range of Catio kits and instructions for free-standing cat fence systems
- Safe Cat Outdoor Enclosure: Detailed drawings and descriptions to create custom outdoor cat enclosures.
- SunCATcher Enclosures: larger free-standing outdoor cat enclosures for yard or patio.
Fun Catio Kit Climbing Enclosures
If you’re looking for a larger ‘jungle gym’ style catio kit then definitely check out Habitat Haven. There’s all kinds of unique structures for your cat to run around and climb on.
Almost every single one of these outdoor cat enclosures are multi-tiered which gives your cat the opportunity to sit and relax wherever they’d like!
From small sizes to a massive option called “The Lion’s Den”, you get to select the exact habitat that’s perfect for your cat.
Another great website for amazingly exciting cat enclosure kits is Cats On Deck. This website has some beautifully crafted habitats that make it very exciting and fun for your cat to lounge around in.
Some of them are big enough for multiple cats, which is great for those of you who have more than one furry friend.
If you’re looking for a shelter to keep your cat safe and entertained while you’re away, Cats on Deck is worth checking out!
Outdoor Cat Enclosure Kits for Lounging
Your cat loves the outdoors and the fresh air, but not all cats want to climb all over the place.
CD Pets has some cat run options that allow your cat to run around freely without any extra steps and levels.
They do have options with fancy editions, but you can also get a bare bones enclosure to keep your cat outside and safe at the same time.
KittyWalk also has a wide variety of options for catio kits. You can get some pretty unique and architecturally brilliant designs from KittyWalk, which can be viewed on Amazon.
For example, the KittyWalk Town & Country Catio is a great option if you don’t want just any plain old wire cage. This model has several different features and a castle-style feel to it!
They also have another kit that’s just a small cat run to give your cat some fresh air exercise. You can check out this model here: to see its simple yet effective design.
Constructing a Catio Kit
Most catio kits come flat packed with instructions for how to put them together.
If you are in any way handy with DIY, you’ll most likely be able to contruct a catio kit yourself.
If not, then you can either ask someone you know who is good at DIY or else hire a local handy person to do it for you.
A couple of good options for finding a local handy-person are:
Common Catio Kit Questions
How long will it take my cat to get used to the new outdoor enclosure?
All cats are different, but it normally takes about a week. When introducing your cat to their new catio, make sure you don’t force anything, and instead let them explore at their leisure. Cats often like to explore new spaces when they’re alone.
My cat weighs 20 pounds. Will a catio kit enclosure work for her?
For most of the Catio Kits, the answer is yes. But, please make sure to check out the product weight limits of each catio – depending on their materials, some will be sturdier than others.
How is my Catio Kit shipped?
Most often, the kits are ‘flat packed’ in cardboard boxes on a wooden skid. Depending on the size you order, the product may be shipped via a network of ground and freight transport.
How long does it take for shipping?
Shipping time depends a lot on where you buy from and the exact model your choose. Some options are available from Amazon Prime on next day delivery and other can take up to 4 – 6 weeks.
Can I install the cat enclosure by myself?
In many instances, yes – especially for smaller catio kits. But it is often easier to install the enclosure with a friend who can lend an extra set of hands. For people who are less DIY inclined, you could always ask a friend or hire a local handyperson to help out.
How much maintenance is required?
Most catio kits require virtually no maintenance. If the cat enclosure is made of galvanized steel mesh it is rust resistant, but your environment, e.g. salt air or acidic trees, will shorten the life of the mesh and cause rust.
If you chose cedar wood for floors and perches, it weathers naturally and resists rot. Some wooden frames will slowly deteriorate from being outside, but you can extend the life of them by applying an all weather wood treatment or varnish once a year.
How much does a catio kit cost?
The cost of a catio kit varies widely from $200 for a small basic cat cage that you could place outside, up to $2000-5000 for a large and luxurious play den.